Artworld is pleased to announce its very first Open International Art Competition. The cash prize is €1,000: approximately $1,375 or £825. The winning artist will design, print and distribute a limited edition of 50 original hand-made prints. The prints will be distributed to individual art-lovers and artists pledging €100 or more to Artworld’s 2014 crowd-funding campaign.
Submissions (digital and by email) are invited from today. The closing date is Friday, May 16th 2014, and the winner will be notified by Friday, June 13th. The competition details, rules, terms and conditions are as below, and also as set out in the Competition Prospectus.
This is a great opportunity for emerging artists and skilled practitioners of an often undervalued art. If you yourself are not a print-maker, please pass this email to those that are. Alternatively you might share the Competition Notice on Facebook. Should you, or they, have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
Yours sincerely. Keith McFarlane Artworld Negative Entropy BV Amsterdam The Netherlands
- How to Enter. Submit a high-quality digital image taken from the first print. Do not submit the original plate, screen or cut. The image should be at least 1024 pixels and preferably 2048 pixels on the longer side. Submission is by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Give your full name and postal-address. The language of the completion is English.
- Publicity. The winning artist will take part in Artworld app, and feature prominently on Facebook. Selected competition entries, completion milestones and highlights will also be featured.
- Eligibility. The competition is international and open to all. Work submitted, one entry per artist, must be the artist’s own, original work.
- Subject. The subject is unrestricted.
- Production. Lithography, woodcut, linocut, serigraph, engraving, etching, or any other intaglio or relief technique from which artisanal-quality original prints can be produced. Digital or giclée prints are not acceptable.
- Printing. The edition will be printed on high-quality plain-white paper. The paper-size should be between 25cm and 30cm on a side, depending on availability. The paper size should reflect the proportions of the image to be printed and should allow adequate margins.
- Judging. A panel of four artists (all of them print specialists) will judge all entries. Selected entries, together with their title and attribution may be posted on Facebook both throughout the competition and after its end. This will certainly apply to shortlisted pieces.
- Notification The competition result will be notified via Facebook. The winning and shortlisted artists will be notified via email.
- Distribution. The winning artist is responsible for sending individual prints to addresses notified by Artworld. This includes postage and packing The prize includes an allowance to that end.
Terms & Conditions
- The decision of the judges is final. In the event of a tie among the judges, the editor of Artworld will have the casting vote.
- Submissions must be suitable for a general audience including children over the age of fourteen. The appropriateness or otherwise of the subject is a matter for the editor in consultation with the judges.
- The judges are (in Holland) Wim van der Meij and (in England) Geri Waddington and Louise Stebbing. Geri is secretary of the (UK) Society of Wood Engravers. The final judge (for the USA) is Michael Dal Cerro of New York.
- The judges must be satisfied that the artist can produce prints to the required high standard. Shortlisted candidates will be expected to send a sample print and ideally four prints, one per judge, for a final decision.
- Prints will be shipped to addresses notified by Artworld. While recipients might be anywhere, the majority are expected to be in Europe or North America.
- Prints will be dispatched individually. They may be rolled for shipment. Surface mail is acceptable. Neither insurance nor tracking is expected.
- Best efforts will be made to understand submissions and communications in languages other than English (there is after all Google Translate). What counts most is the quality of the work produced.
- The competition closing date is Friday, 16th May 2014. The winner will be notified no later than the Friday, June 13th. All prints will be dispatched by the winning artist no later than Friday, June 27th.
- Artworld App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/artworld/id543591554?mt=8
- Community: https://www.facebook.com/ArtworldApp
- Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/artworld–2
- Pre-Launch: https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/7daf5b17