Get the ebook Guide to Making Submissions here.
KALEID 2013 London // Saturday 20th July 2013
KALEID 2013 London will exhibit one hundred artists’ books, focusing on the form of the book as an interdisciplinary activity; combining visual arts with new technology, contemporary ideas and traditional book arts. They encourage artists practising in different disciplines to apply, including installation, drawing, printmaking, art writing, photography, painting, sculpture, book arts, video, digital media and performance. Deadline: May 1, 2013 — For artist submission information, click here.
KALEID editions invites submissions from European based artists who do books, for an exhibition and book fair, to be held in London on Saturday 20th July 2013.
KALEID 2013 London is the second annual curated event, showcasing the best of artists’ books to an international audience of collectors. Awards and acquisitions will be held on Friday 19th July, supported by The Art Academy, Frans Masereel Centrum, the British National Art Library and English Arts Council’s Saison Poetry Library.
KALEID editions supports ‘artists who do books’ and will further represent twenty-five artists at the London Art Book Fair, hosted by the Whitechapel Gallery in September 2013.
Artists are invited to submit by email. Galleries and publishers may also submit on behalf of an artist, however exhibition catalogues will not be considered.
DEADLINE – 1st May 2013
– Complete a PayPal payment of 10€ for each artist’s book submission and place the receipt number in the subject line of the email
– Attach a maximum of four digital images in JPEG format (maximum file size 1MB)
– Attach a completed Submission Form
Sofie Dederen, Director, Frans Masereel Centrum for Print, Belgium
Elizabeth James, Senior Librarian for Artists’ Books, Word and & Image Department, National Art Library, V&A Museum, UK
David Senior, Bibliographer, MoMA Library, USA.
KALEID 2013 London takes place at The Art Academy in London Bridge, close to White Cube, Jerwood Space and Tate Modern. Bookstands run by artists are located on the ground floor (100sq m). Singular works, installations, digital media and performances feature in a curated exhibition on the first floor (100sq m). A participatory book arts demonstration will be facilitated in the print studio and the top floor hosts the panel discussion, to seat fifty people during the private event.
Click, send, deliver your gift of the ebook Transmedia Artist Guide to Making Artist Submissions to your artist friends this year. Do you have an artist in your family? Give them the ebook Transmedia Artist Guide to Making Artist Submissions using the new Give as a Gift option on Smashwords.
Here’s how it works:
- Click the “Give as a gift” link from the book page for the Transmedia Artist Guide to Making Artist Submissions.
- Enter the name of your giftee and their e-mail address. Very important you enter the correct e-mail address otherwise they won’t receive it. Alternatively, if you would like the gift to be a surprise, enter your own e-mail address. If you’re using this option and you want to give the same book to several different people, make sure that you click “Give as a gift” once for each giftee (don’t increase the quantity, because then you will be giving multiple copies to one person, which is probably not what you want).
- Once you complete the purchase of the gift, we’ll send an immediate e-mail to the recipient, providing them instructions on how to redeem the gift (you will get a copy of the e-mail too). If you entered your own e-mail address in step 2, you will get the e-mail and you will need to forward it or print it out and hand deliver it to your recipient. The gift code (contained in the hyperlink in the e-mail) will allow whoever uses it to pick up this gift, so keep it a secret (except from your giftee, of course). The gift e-mail will look like the sample below. Note that we will not share your e-mail address with the giftee, only your name as listed in your Smashwords profile.
- When your giftee gets the e-mail, your gift recipient will simply click the hyperlink in the message (which contains the gift code) and their book will become instantly available if they’re already registered for Smashwords. If they’re not yet a Smashwords member, or they’re not logged in to their account, we’ll prompt them to join (it’s free) or log in. After they register, the book is waiting for them in their Library.
Sample gift e-mail
Dear [Giftee’s name]:
[Your name, as listed in your Smashwords profile] has given you a gift of the ebook “Transmedia Artist Guide to Making Artist Submissions” by Marie Kazalia on Smashwords! To pick up your gift, please click the following link, or copy it and paste it into your web browser:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/55939 (the full link will give them access to the book contents)
If you already have an account on Smashwords.com (we’ll prompt you to log in, if necessary) you’ll have instant access to this book. If you don’t have an account on Smashwords, you will be asked to create one — don’t worry, it’s easy and free!
We hope you enjoy your gift!
The Smashwords Team
Here’s how to read Smashwords ebooks!Step 1: Click to the book page by clicking on the book title above.
Step 2: You’ll be prompted to log in to your Smashwords account. If you don’t yet have an account, you’ll be prompted to create one. It’s quick and free to create an account. Sign up, we’ll send you a confirmation e-mail, click the hyperlink in the e-mail and you’re in. Come join hundreds of thousands of readers around the world who use Smashwords to discover, purchase and read over 90,000 ebooks!
Step 3: Once you’re logged in, your gift will be saved for you and you will be able to click to get your book (or click to your Library to find your book) and click the download format you prefer.
Step 4: Read! Here’s our FAQ on how to download Smashwords ebooks to any device: https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#Reading.
Plus–We send a copy of the gift e-mail to you the gifter as well, so that if for some reason your giftee doesn’t get the e-mail, you can pass it along to them yourself.
In this video, the author of Seven Days in the Art World, Sarah Thornton, describes the contents of each of her book chapters– in a minute and 34 seconds.
There was a lot of buzz about Seven Days in the Art World when it was first released as a hardcover book a few years ago. The book later became available as a paperback and currently sells for $15.95. Surprisingly, the ebook version is listed at a higher print than print– on Google Books the ebook is priced at $24.95
I know a few artists who have formatted large files of their artwork into book-length manuscripts for publishing on print-on-demand sites such as lulu and others.
That’s great, but don’t stop there! Artists with book-length manuscripts of their art can easily upload their file to Amazon Kindle for ebook sales to an even larger audience.
If your book manuscript is ready for print-on-demand, and you have an Amazon account, it will only take a few minutes for you to upload and list your book– and it’s free. If you don’t have an Amazon account, open one free. Sign in. Scroll to the bottom of your account page. You will see the option to upload your book. Once it is uploaded. Amazon gives you options to create an author bio page and to list your book on Amazon in the UK and other Amazon sites internationally.
Now your art book is getting some visibility! Help that along with promotions of your new ebook. Visit your new Amazon Kindle ebook listing and copy your ebook URL . Post the link on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter along with an image of your book cover. Post an image of your book cover on Pinterest and add your Kindle link.
You can also list your Kindle ebook on a variety of ebook library site, and on the Kindle Mojo site free. A donation of only $25.00 gets you a featured ad on the Kindle Mojo site. You can also request a book review or author feature on Kindle Mojo.
Artists with print-on-demand books of their art, and ebooks, get listed free on this blog and promoted to our social media accounts such as Twitter and Facebook. If you have a book/ebook you’d like us to promote just let us know.